Part- Time Weekend Victims Assistant
Please send all inquiries and a resume to the Director of Victim Services, Leticia Rodriguez, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
JOB OVERVIEW: Perform crisis response and intervention in person and by phone the weekend shift at our residential facility. Part-time Victims Assistant will provide assessments, service planning, safety planning, crime victims’ compensation, case management, court assistance and accompaniment and referral and other services in support of survivors and their families.
Bilingual a plus.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs intervention and assessment services for victim’s sexual assault.
- Is the primary responder to UTMB for medical accompaniment to victims of sexual assault
- Medical accompaniment responder to victims of sexual assault
- Assist the client/ family in developing a service plan including identification of resources to meet their most immediate and longer term needs, provision of referrals, assistance in accessing services, and review of plan to assure all needed services are provided and effective in meeting the victim’s goals. Documentation of all activity is required.
- Victim Assistant will help the client / family cope with the traumatic event and subsequent situations and challenges and return to the highest possible level of functioning as quickly as possible. Educate the client / family about typical responses to similar traumatic events to help them prepare for possible future challenges.
- Adhere to Resource and Crisis Center Policy and Procedure in the performance of job duties.
- Evaluates a wide range of victim’s problems to supply appropriate information and referral service to resolve the problem and/or apply appropriate intervention techniques to resolve an immediate and critical situation with thoughtful and thorough analysis.
- Handle multiple projects simultaneously and use good judgment in performing work assignments.
- Work in a variety of stressful and emotional situations throughout an on-call weekend shift and on a medical accompaniment. Provides needed basic items after sexual assault exam.
- Perform complex, confidential and sensitive assignments.
- Will assist in the residential shelter where needed.
- Listen, communicate and deal effectively with clients in crisis situations, co-workers, other professionals, civic groups, social service agencies, volunteers and the general public.
- Thrives in a teamwork driven environment with a commitment to the highest level of quality service and advocacy.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Commitment to supporting and empowering victims of crime and advocating against violence and sexual violence in our community and our society.
- Understand and protect client confidentiality at all times.
- Knowledge, experience and demonstration of skill in any or all of the following: crisis intervention; hotline and emergency response; victim’s rights and available services; domestic violence; sexual violence; law enforcement and court procedures.
- Basic computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook.
- Pass background screening.
- High moral character.
- Polite, compassionate, courteous and tactful with the public, victims, their families, Law Enforcement and other agency staff.
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Time is flexible with on call weekends