Hospital Accompaniment

If you are a recent survivor of sexual assault or rape, our hotline can send a Hospital Advocate to meet you at UTMB hospital in Galveston to get emergency help and support. Call (409) 765-7233 or (888) 919-7233 to reach our 24-Hour Crisis Hotline.

Resource and Crisis Center provides trained Hospital Advocates to meet victims of sexual assault at the emergency room to support the survivor during medical and forensic examinations.

These Advocates offer compassionate information and support. They are available to stay beside you during the SANE (Sexual Assault Nurses Exam) for evidence collection and are trained to answer legal and medical questions. These compassionate, sensitive and well-trained volunteers can be a first step toward the healing process after an assault.

What should I do if I am sexually assaulted?

  1. Get far away from the attacker. Ask a friend, neighbor or loved one to stay with you.
  2. Call 911 immediately to report the attack. If you want more information first, call the Resource and Crisis Center Hotline.

How do I preserve evidence of the attack?

  1. Do not bathe, douche, brush your teeth, brush your hair, clean wounds or change clothes.
  2. Write down all the details you can recall about the attack and the attacker.
  3. Get medical attention. Even with no apparent physical injuries, it is important to determine the risks of STDs and pregnancy.
  4. If you suspect you may have been drugged, ask that a urine sample be collected.

Should I report my attack to the police?

This is a personal decision. No one else, friends, family, the police, or other well meaning people, can make this decision for you.

If you decide to report the assault or rape to the police, please do so as soon as possible. Please do not shower or wash or destroy the clothing you are wearing. You will be given a SANE exam and evidence will be collected by a trained nurse who will in turn hand it over to police for investigation of your assault.

Remember that rape or sexual assault is never your fault no matter the circumstances.

When should I seek medical attention?

If you decide not to report the assault to the police, you should still seek medical attention from a hospital. It is very important to have a thorough exam and be given medicine to help prevent sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) and/or pregnancy if you choose.

Emergency contraception (EC) is available without a prescription at local pharmacies for women over 18 years of age. Teenagers under 18 should get a prescription from a doctor. You can ask at the hospital for information about how EC works to prevent pregnancy.

If you know that you will never report, there are some things you should still consider:

  1. Call the 24-hour Resource and Crisis Center hotline for confidential information, support and to access other services including counseling.
  2. Recognize that no one heals in the exact same way.

Know that it’s never too late to call. Even if the attack happened years ago, Resource and Crisis Center can still help you with your healing process. Many survivors do not realize they need or want help until months or years later.

GG Creative